Attacked in the dark?

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
Jno
Trader
Trader

Attacked in the dark?

Post by Jno »

Hi, all
I've just emerged from a few hours of first contact with Vega Strike (I'm not counting a brief encounter in 2007 when it was a lot less polished than it is now).

First off, great job. I'm impressed. Now a couple of questions. First, in cargo missions, the final recipient is almost never a unit which can be found in-system. I have to do this: Take the mission, navigate to the target system, fail to find recipient, land somewhere, save, and quit the game. Restart VS, load the game, leave and return to the target system, and NOW the recipient is correctly identified.

In a couple of cases he's rlaan and wants to park in planetary orbit, where docking is tough because you'll get docked on the planet 5 times out of 6, even though the rlaan is the target and I am in spitting distance of his docking square when I hit D. When this happens, my mission computer says that 100% of the mission is complete, but the cargo isn't offloaded. I have to dump the cargo and abort the mission, which is a waste of time, really.

Finally (I promise) what's going on when I'm getting beaten up, shields dropping at a fantastic rate, and the H key tells me that the nearest hostile target is over 1000 km away? Death always comes before I've figured it out!

VS 0.5.0, Saitek X45, Kubuntu btw.

Jonathan
Clean, Green and Dangerous (on Elite in about 1981 on a C64, that is :) ).
loki1950
The Shepherd

Re: Attacked in the dark?

Post by loki1950 »

Welcome Jno finding the mission target can be a challenge but there is a bit of help with this key binding

Code: Select all

<bind key="N" modifier="alt" command="ReverseMissionTargetKey" />
	<bind key="n" modifier="alt" command="MissionTargetKey" />

Now the phantom shield blaster try using the "R" key instead of "h" as it selects the guy shooting at you not just who is closest :wink: and the relevant bindings from the config file.

bind key="h" modifier="none" command="NearestTargetKey" />
	<bind key="T" modifier="none" command="ReverseTargetKey" />
	<bind key="r" modifier="none" command="NearestHostileTargetKey"/>
	<bind key="R" modifier="none" command="NearestDangerousHostileKey"/>
Actually "R" would be best as it prioritizes the the hostile list :D that should show who is shooting at you i have had that experience and it may be a bug but very hard to track down because it's so hard to replicate it.So if you are running from a terminal redirect the output to a file and post the file as part of your report so hopefully we can get so clue on what is wrong.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Jno
Trader
Trader

Post by Jno »

Thanks for the key bindings; I've got a Saitek X45 here and I've already modified the config file to put the buttons and axes how I like them, but that R key is going somewhere near my right thumb!

I've been logging with the command line

$ vegastrike 2>&1 | tee vs.log
, if it happens again I'll see what's in the log file, but there a lot there I don't understand... python warnings by the gazillion :)

Regards

Jonathan
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Glad your not afraid of the command line :wink: you might find the svn version better we have been adding content lots of new ships and filling in the comm messages with some voices and a short tutorial quest on the first flight as well as some more graphical improvements,there is a Ubuntu specific how to on the wiki and since you use the KDE desktop i would recommend kdesvn as the svn client i have used it since we moved to svn from cvs.Any way it's your call 8)

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2