A myriad of questions from a VERY inexpereinced pilot

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
Dragonseraph Angel
Hunter
Hunter

A myriad of questions from a VERY inexpereinced pilot

Post by Dragonseraph Angel »

Salutations! :D

The first thing that I would like to do is to thank all who participated and are participating in the creation of Vegastrike Upon the Coldest Sea. :D Your Admirable determination, brilliant creativity, and noble generosity have kept this wonderful game (or perhaps “work of artâ€
Dragonseraph Angel
Hunter
Hunter

Oops!

Sorry. I think I posted in the wrong place. :oops:
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

1. Yes you should probably have posted in the general user help forum at the top. Loki or one of the admins can probably move the thread

2. Tractors can be used in combat to smash smaller ships into your hull. This is generally not considered a good thing by human players, but annoying AI's in dodo's have been known to employ this tactic. I believe you can also tractor other small ships into your hold, but haven't tried. I imagine autotracking mounts would be helpful and I think tractors have a fairly short range.

3. Repulsors can be used, the opposite of tractors to push enemy ships away. This is generally not terribly useful AFAIK

4. Heavy tractors simply exert more force and probably have longer range too.

5. Tractor capability allows the mounting of 'special' type weapons, such as tractors on that mount-point

6. I seem to remember needing to hit 'o' a couple of times before my turrets opened fire. Turret weapons are unupgradeable, although you can change the turret type (ie beam turrets)

7. Ktek beams are godly. At least they are in the beta, but from what i remember, they seemed very powerful.

8. I remember seeing somewhere the keybindings to eject cargo and control wingmen. They (wingmen) are hired with a one-time fee.

Sorry, I have very little experience with modding the game

9. To make something purchaseable, add it to master_parts_list.csv. I don't know where this file lives in windoze tho

10. Serialized_xml files are the files for the ships your save file has purchased and upgraded. Units.csv holds information on all of the items ships etc. that exists in vegastrike and is therefore absurdly long.

11. The ship spawning glitch has been fixed in the beta with a scalability rewrite to the physics engine. There is not a way to fix it with the 0.4.3 code.

12. HUD repair and ECm systems do not work correctly and are always broken as a result.

13. Kill a lot of Luddites and everyone will love you again.

14. You can just hack yourself a Tesla.milspec and then 'modify' the serialized_xml that it generates, doing things like decreasing the mass and MoI insanely and giving it infinite reactor recharge. It still has the milspec weapons which include insanely rigged Pminus mark IV beams!!! and lots of turrets!!! FUN!!!

Good Luck and Have a blast. :D
ravenhawk82
Trader
Trader

Post by ravenhawk82 »

You win the award for most emoticons in one post :lol: :wink:
Core 2 E6600 @ 3.15GHz, 8800GTS 640MB, EVGA 680i, 2GBs of G.Skill DDR2-800, 300GBs of storage
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Welcome Dragonseraph Angel i moved the topic so you noticed that Excel is not the tool to use :wink: Open Office's calc does a better job and does not change the file format on save but we do have a dedicated editor for units.csv check this thread http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... php?t=7143 an other tool you might consider is Notepad++ as a replacement for notepad there is a fix that will prevent the spawning in your face it's a change to one of the python files it's been so long i forgot it but it's posted in this forum so a search should find it. i most likely missed one of your questions :oops: so remind me 8)

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Dragonseraph Angel
Hunter
Hunter

Thank you, so much!

THANK YOU ALL SOOOO MUCH!!!!! :mrgreen:

I am very grateful that you moved my topic, loki1950, :D it is obviously much better suited in the user help catagory. :oops: I discovered my mistake ten seconds after I posted. :oops:

Never worry about missing my questions anyway. :wink: I put so many on here, after all. :P

bgaskey, thank you for all your help. :wink: Sometimes dodos seem to use their tractors to slingshoot targets far away from them, or at least that is what they did to me. It was actually pretty effective, since they have eight of them mounted, and the result sent my ship flying at a speed of somewhere around 29000, :shock: and in some odd direction. it took me a long time to slow down and get my berrings. :x It might work the same way if you mounted enough repulsors. Like a big catapult it could send enemy ships flying far enough away that they are no threat. :)

Anyway, I just downloaded Vegastrike 0.50, and I love it. all the new ships are very nice. :mrgreen:
The SPEC Autopilot that-you-can-not-turn-off is making me mad though. :evil: I like to fly my own ships myself, thank you very much, :wink: and I do not trust the autopilot, especially since it rammed me into something. :evil:

The ships-popping-up-out-of-nowhere problem is fixed though! :D
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Re: Thank you, so much!

Post by jackS »

Dragonseraph Angel wrote:I like to fly my own ships myself, thank you very much
You can turn SPEC on/off manually without engaging the autopilot.
'A' turns SPEC on/off maually (vs. 'a' for the autopilot)
()Alf
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by ()Alf »

The SPEC Autopilot that-you-can-not-turn-off is making me mad though
Try the normal SPEC key to shut it off (shift+a), but carefull, can sometime be confusing working with auto-spec and normal spec, although both specs-mods are useful, at least to me ;)
and I do not trust the autopilot, especially since it rammed me into something.
The question is, did the autopilot steered you into something or the "something" steered into you and autopilot wasn't fast enough avoiding it ;)
Enjoy the Tri p :shock:
My Box:: Board: Fujitsu-Siemens D2156S; CPU: Pentium 4 - 3.4GHz Core²Duo; GraCa: ATI Radeon X1600Pro (PCIe); RAM: 3GB; Sound: Creative SB Audigy 1; 2xHD(ntfs): Pri_120GB,Sec_250GB; OS: Win-XP-Pro-SP2_32bit
Xante
Hunter
Hunter

Re: Oops!

Post by Xante »

Dragonseraph Angel wrote:Sorry. I think I posted in the wrong place. :oops:
When you look at his post like 10 feets away from the screen it looks like the sensor display in the sol system ; just a big bunch of yellow dots^^
()Alf
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by ()Alf »

I feel like such a big fool.
And if you'd have surfed the forum, you'd have saved alot of typing :twisted: :P ;)
My Box:: Board: Fujitsu-Siemens D2156S; CPU: Pentium 4 - 3.4GHz Core²Duo; GraCa: ATI Radeon X1600Pro (PCIe); RAM: 3GB; Sound: Creative SB Audigy 1; 2xHD(ntfs): Pri_120GB,Sec_250GB; OS: Win-XP-Pro-SP2_32bit
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

but who reads all those forum threads? :)
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

I have :wink: but I've been around awhile.

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Dragonseraph Angel
Hunter
Hunter

Thanks Again!

*JackS*
You can turn SPEC on/off manually without engaging the autopilot.
'A' turns SPEC on/off maually (vs. 'a' for the autopilot)
*()Alf*
Try the normal SPEC key to shut it off (shift+a), but carefull, can sometime be confusing working with auto-spec and normal spec, although both specs-mods are useful, at least to me
Many thanks, both of you. :mrgreen: It is good to know that someone in this world is generous enough to contribute their time and skills to something that does not include making big money. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Now that you have told me how, :wink: I can fly wherever I want with SPEC and not worry about the autopilot. 8) It is true, however, that Autopilot mode is useful and I will probably be using a lot of it. :wink: Nice Feature, now that I know I can turn it off!! :mrgreen:

The manual SPEC mode is more fun, though, :wink: and in the past, it has allowed me to escape from a pretty ugly battle, 8) (though, of course, I had to fly smart and not activate SPEC until I was far enough away that it could take effect and I would not just end up losing shields 8) ) something that would be nearly impossible with the autopilot, since it is programmed to find the most effecient route, but not how to best escape enemies. :D (At least... I do not think it is... :roll: )

*()Alf*
The question is, did the autopilot steered you into something or the "something" steered into you and autopilot wasn't fast enough avoiding it
The autopilot seems pretty realiable in most cases, :wink: so it is more likely that it is the "something" that caused the problem, not the autopilot. 8)

*()Alf*
And if you'd have surfed the forum, you'd have saved alot of typing
All the typing is alright with me. 8) I actually enjoy typing most of the time, I am writing a book, actualy, but that is another story. :D
I have viewed the forums to some degree, and they have helped me do what I have managed to do, :wink: but I did not understand a lot of what they were saying; :oops: :cry: I am quite a "Noobie" as some would call me, :wink: and I do not understand the tech-talk language. Sorry. :oops:

Hopefully, you will have the excessive patients required to endure my ignorance. :oops: :cry: :oops:
()Alf
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by ()Alf »

I actually enjoy typing most of the time,
That's kind of obvious ;)

btw. when you increase your basic speed, maybe with afterburner, to a high speed, you can escape better. Note, the higher your "basic" speed compared to your enemy, the more efficient is your spec escaping them, cause your spec is just a dimensional acceleration (or at least some kind of such thinking i think), that is related on your basic realistic speed. You will see this when you try to get near a small target and passing by all the time, but when you decrease your basic speed it's easy to get near it with spec.
Last edited by ()Alf on Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

That and one of the reason for combat and flight modes is if you are in flight mode typical encounters with other ship could be measured in micro-seconds not much time to get a shot off :shock:

Dragonseraph Angel
Hunter
Hunter

HELP!! I still do not know how to modify/write ANYTHING!!

I still have no Idea about how to do anything with modifying the game though. :oops: :cry: I am very interested in learining how to edit the program effectvely, :P but I have no idea what to do. :cry: :oops: As I have formerly stated, the most I have done is create a slightly starship shaped object on Wings3D, and get my hands a little bit dirty in the unit.cvs. :( I KNOW That there is far more that I could learn to do. :P I have many endeavors that I would like to try add to my Vegastrike, but I lack the experience to hack/write them in. :oops: :cry: :cry:

If anyone knows how or where I could start learning about these sorts of techniques, please tell me! :mrgreen: Just learning how to render something worthwhile :oops: :cry: using Wings3D would be a big step ahead, :D so if you have any ideas, I would love to read them! :mrgreen:

And Thank you again, so much! :mrgreen:
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

There are some how tp's and tutorials in the wiki have a look they are pretty basic but should get you started.

Dragonseraph Angel
Hunter
Hunter

Loki1950
There are some how tp's and tutorials in the wiki have a look they are pretty basic but should get you started.
What is their exact location? :? I did not see anything that was helpful to someone as ignorant as I am. :oops: :cry:

Maybe I was just not looking hard enough. :roll: I will go back and look some more :wink: :mrgreen:

Many thanks. :mrgreen:
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

The how to http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/HowTo:Add_Ships the rest follow along with tutorials on both blender and wings3D

Dragonseraph Angel
Hunter
Hunter

*Loki1950*
The how to http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/HowTo:Add_Ships the rest follow along with tutorials on both blender and wings3D
Thank You Loki. :mrgreen:

Unfortunatly, what I found was not very helpfull to me. :cry: I do not think that I understood much of it, :oops: likely due to my lack of tech-talk fluancy. :oops: :(
However, I decided that if everyone else here can render a decent ship in a week, I will teach myself. :P I reattempted to create a starship on Wings3D, this time, with slightly better results than last. :wink: Unfortunatly, my progress is very slow :( :x :evil: and I doubt that I really know what I am doing. :cry: :oops: So far I have another vaguely starship-shaped object, with one half-complete wing. I planned on posting some images of my creation, hoping that someone could offer me advice, and tell me what I am doing wrong, but I do not even know how to get an image of it off the Wings3D program, or where screenshots are stored. :oops: :cry: :oops: :cry:

Anyway, I must thank you, and everyone else again for your advice and for making me feel welcom in the forums :mrgreen: