Privateer?

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.

Privateer?

Post by Guest »

Is Vega Strike a Privateer(Wing Commander) spinoff? I havent had a chance to download it yet, but from looking at the description I thought 'Privateer' right away. If it is I'm glad. Privateer was a good game :D but it was so outdated its not even funny.
Duality
Daredevil Venturer
Daredevil Venturer

Post by Duality »

It is a privateer game.. I dunno if its a spinoff of Wing Commander or not because of theway the flight engine is right now.. it Kinda reminds me of another mmorpg called Jumpgate.
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

yes the gameplay is very similar to privateer in the default configuration... it has all the features that priv has and more

but in actuality it can be modded to pretty much any sort of space sim :-D
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
Anax
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Anax »

it's also VERY like the Elite series
Runner
Hunter
Hunter

though...

Post by Runner »

As much as I respect what VegaStrike represents for me it's not much like Elite yet because several really distinctive parts/features are still missing:
* True terrain/planets
* endless generated universe
* well balanced gameplay (so that it really is hard to get rich and one really can enjoy it then)
* All this and more in a time when other developers were lightyears behind that technology and are still behind (except the graphics). But VegaStrike is still by far the best candidate to achieve this. Though especially the part of getting lightyears ahead of other developers is sort of hard these days... ;-)

by, Runner
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Re: though...

Post by dandandaman »

Runner wrote:* endless generated universe
bzzzzt........we have that ;-) everything else though will be here eventually :-)

Dan.a
Darkmage
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Darkmage »

http://wcuniverse.sf.net the site itself contains bugger all. heh when i get online fully that will of course change.
Lasker
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Lasker »

When it comes to Elite, there seems some confusion on what particular title of Elite:
Besides the original one, which pulled me into the computer world as my very first game on good old C64 there are also 'Elite Frontier' and 'Elite First Encounter'.
When you speak of
Runner wrote: * True terrain/planets
* endless generated universe
that's only true for Frontier and First Encounter, not the original one.
I guess, only the grandpas of us (like me) ever played the original one, the one with pure wireframe graphics on 8-bit computers...
Laurent
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by Laurent »

Lasker wrote:I guess, only the grandpas of us (like me) ever played the original one, the one with pure wireframe graphics on 8-bit computers...
I'm not a grandpas, but I played and still play the original Elite game. This was also my first computer game and still enjoy it. There is a text version of the trade engine (also the source) on Ian Bell page (http://www.iancgbell.clara.net/elite/text/index.htm) that model the economy of original Elite. I'm playing with it actually to see how all the economy was handled.