Cordless mouse bad in flight

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
LaurenceW
Explorer
Explorer

Cordless mouse bad in flight

Post by LaurenceW »

Just a heads up, really- I was almost giving up on VS, because my mouse control was not good enough for anything but trading and autopilot.

Combat was impossible because I could not turn the ship fast enough, even buying and trying more agile smaller ships didn't help. It seemed as though most of my mouse movement was being ignored, and although I could get joystick to work and that was good, it wasn't centred, no in game calibration.

My optical cordless mouse is just fine in all situations except in-flight control in VS.
Sudden inspiration, tried a standard mouse in the PS port, and 500% improvement in ship control, I can now do combat, the game opens up!

Don't know if it was the optical or the wireless (or the Logitech) aspect of the mouse that was the problem, but there it is for anyone else in need.

Laurence
G3David
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by G3David »

I use a Logitech Optical mouse and it works fine...
But I use the arrow keys to steer....
there may be a mouse-wireless hub communication problem...where is your wireless receiver, is there anything blocking.
if i were to use it, i would always have in within line-of-sight
Excuse me sir, can you tell me how to get to Omicron Persei 8?
My Website|Please do not click here
LaurenceW
Explorer
Explorer

Post by LaurenceW »

[quote="G3David"]
there may be a mouse-wireless hub communication problem...where is your wireless receiver, is there anything blocking.
if i were to use it, i would always have in within line-of-sight[/quote]

There is no problem at all with the mouse in any situation except flight control in VS ie it functions perfectly in all VS menus and in all other software, and misbehaves in this way even trying to play VS with the mouse 2-3 inches away from the receiver, 2-3 feet away from the keyboard and monitor.

(How does the mouse know what I'm doing???).

Laurence
G3David
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by G3David »

i would suggest switching to arrow control mode when your not using a joystick...ther may be a reaction-time difference for some weird reason when your using the cordless one...
i don't use the mosue to steer because its does the opposite of what i want it to do.
anyay, the main suggestion is just use either the joystick or the arrow keys
Last edited by G3David on Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DirtyMagic
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by DirtyMagic »

Optical mice can be pretty brutal for gaming... it depends on the actual quality of the mouse. Different mice will take samples of where they are at different rates and they'll broadcast that info back to the computer at a different rate. I've heard that high-end setups like the Logitech MX700 are good enough for gaming but some of the cheaper/generic mice have problems keeping up with games. Have you used it on other intensive games like FPS's or flight sims?

If you poke around in your settings, you may be able to crank up something like "sample resolution" to make it sample faster.
G3David
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by G3David »

its not the optical part of the mouse, i thinks its, the wireless part.
the optical mouse sends*mine does anyway, when you move the mouse just barely..mine works fine in FPS. and its more responsive than all of the ball-mice i've used, and i've used some good ball-type mice, using computers for about 15 years(i'm 19)
G3David
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by G3David »

its not the optical part of the mouse, i thinks its, the wireless part.
the optical mouse sends*mine does anyway, when you move the mouse just barely..mine works fine in FPS. and its more responsive than all of the ball-mice i've used, and i've used some good ball-type mice, using computers for about 15 years(i'm 19) about the only type of mouse i havenot used is the orignal box-mouse(but iv'e seen it)