Random performance issue

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
nirwin
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Random performance issue

Post by nirwin »

Hello,

This has me stumped, I managed to install the game after a bit of work, then started it up.
I was left with a picture of a ship on a hanger and a mouse cursor which wouldnt move, the HDD light was going all the time. After about 10 minutes of this I managed to kill the program.

I tried again and this time It worked until I launched the ship and then stopped responding the second it showed the cockpit, so again I killed it after a number of minutes.

My computer can't handle it you may think? Well I was suspecting that (even tho I am some way over minimum spec), so I tried one more time, this time I launched, went to the mining base, bought supplies, went back to the planet, sold supplies, bought more, launched, went back to mining base, and as I pressed d to dock, the whole thing hung again.

I just dont get it, it CAN run fine with a great performance, then suddenly it will sit there for ages doing nothing but with the Hard Drive going flat out.

Anyone got any suggestions?
Anything worth doing will have already been done
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

There are indeed some performance problems with the latest release.

Try upping the size of your swap file. That should help make the delays manageable.
nirwin
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by nirwin »

Ok thanks.
I am running the linux version, where is the swap file located, what is it called and how do I increase the size of the file?
I am guessing the size is set in the configuration file, so I shall try looking in there, but would like a little guidance to make sure I do it correctly.
Major
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Major »

I had similar problems with swapping during gameplay.

After I reduced the detail level to "high detail" in the options there was only minimal swapping left.

I´ve got an Athlon XP1700+, 256MR DDR RAM and a Geforce2TI with 64MB DDR RAM and running on Win2K

How much RAM do you have
kazymyr
Explorer
Explorer

Post by kazymyr »

nirwin wrote:Ok thanks.
I am running the linux version, where is the swap file located, what is it called and how do I increase the size of the file?
I am guessing the size is set in the configuration file, so I shall try looking in there, but would like a little guidance to make sure I do it correctly.
hehe, if you're running Linux chances are you have a swap partition, not a swap file. Or at least you should - Linux works much better if the swap has a whole partition dedicated to it. As a last resort, you can also use a swap file, but that will give you a performance hit for pretty much everything.

Look in /etc/fstab, that'll tell you where your swap is located.
chown -R linux:users /world
nirwin
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by nirwin »

Yep I do have a swap file, as I remember its a fair size, 512MB maybe.

I am running it on a AMD Duron 1300, 384MB Ram and a GeForce 4 MX 440 64MB

I spose I'll have to try turning detail down, but the actual game isn't sluggish so I don't think that will help
kazymyr
Explorer
Explorer

Post by kazymyr »

Like I said, you'll be better off for everything, including games, if you replace the swap file with a swap partition. You don't need one that big, 256M should suffice for everything. I personally have a 128M swap partition, and I never felt the need for more.
chown -R linux:users /world
nirwin
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by nirwin »

Sorry I did mean swap partition, not file.

I need to concentrate more when typing