New Radar Display

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
CmdrMargan
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

New Radar Display

Post by CmdrMargan »

Hi,

Could someone explain the new radar display / sensor display, please?

It is now blobby, with different sized and coloured blobs that seem to expand and contract slightly, very rapidly. What does it all mean - is the world coming to an end?

Also I have noticed that there are no sensors to upgrade ships with.

Great fun.

Margan.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Re: New Radar Display

Post by pheonixstorm »

The sensors are there to buy. I have a few runs that I couldn't buy sensors before as well, but thats just the games random upgrades generation.

As for how the sensors now act.. check out the elite radar thread in either features or dev focus. Can't remember which, sorry.
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
breese
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by breese »

CmdrMargan wrote:Could someone explain the new radar display / sensor display, please?

It is now blobby, with different sized and coloured blobs that seem to expand and contract slightly, very rapidly. What does it all mean - is the world coming to an end?
You are describing the Ktek Tracker sensor. You should not get that by default, but only if you buy it.

The track sizes are used to indicate big vs small objects. The wobbling is the Ktek Tracker's reaction to ECM -- other radar brands are based on different technology and therefore react differently to ECM. The colouring is based on your vegastrike.config file (I just fixed a bug to make it work again.)

The old radars should continue to work as they always have, albeit with a few minute changes to keep things consistent. I have also added a version with threat-assessment for the StarScanner and Hawkeye lines.
CmdrMargan wrote:Also I have noticed that there are no sensors to upgrade ships with.
Then how did you get your Ktek Tracker?

Some shops do not always sell sensors, just as they do not always sell other kinds of upgrade, but this is also how it worked before I submitted the new radars.
CmdrMargan
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by CmdrMargan »

breese wrote:Then how did you get your Ktek Tracker?
Well, what I think happened is:

I was still within Atlantis' gravity inluence on my way to Serenity when the telephone rang. I looked at the screen and realised I had a little while before I needed to navigate into Serenity so I answered the 'phone.
When I got back to the game I saw I was about 37 light minutes beyond Serenity and realised immediately that my Llama must have bounced off Serenity. I checked for damage and found the only damage was to my Alpha 1 sensor which was down at 50%.
I decided rather than repair it I would buy a repair droid to see what happened. I bought a repair droid 1.

Before the collision the radar dots were all white and the centre of the radar was a green cross. After the collision it looked very similar but with very few dots. By the time I got back to Atlantis the radar's white dots were green dots and the Alpha 1 was at 100%. I then ended the game and restarted it later-on in the day.

I restarted Vegastrike.exe and loaded up the game I had been running earlier, stocked-up with booze for the return to Serenity, launced and immediately noticed that the radar centre was now more of a circle and the dots were blobs.
The sensor is still an Alpha 1!

Does that help?

By the way it is SVN 13001.

Thanks,

CmdrMargan
breese
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by breese »

CmdrMargan wrote:Before the collision the radar dots were all white and the centre of the radar was a green cross. After the collision it looked very similar but with very few dots. By the time I got back to Atlantis the radar's white dots were green dots and the Alpha 1 was at 100%. I then ended the game and restarted it later-on in the day.

I restarted Vegastrike.exe and loaded up the game I had been running earlier, stocked-up with booze for the return to Serenity, launced and immediately noticed that the radar centre was now more of a circle and the dots were blobs.
This is definitely not supposed to happen. It looks like the repair system actually upgrades your sensor.

If you have not bought a new ship yet, can you post the following file: ~/.vegastrike/serialized_xml/XYZ/Llama.begin.csv (replace XYZ with the name of your saved game.)
CmdrMargan
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by CmdrMargan »

Hi All,

Thanks for the feedback.

All cured with Revision 13109.

Commander Margan
energyman76b
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by energyman76b »

damn - upgrade by bot would be such a nice feature. Just like schlock mercenary's fabbers...
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

I think a 'bot upgrading things has been discussed, and (I could easily be wrong) even has a mention in the wiki about the high end ones being so smart that they invent stuff.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

I remember the discussion about manufacturing bots... but not the upgrading bots.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Motie engineers anyone :D from "Mote in God'd Eye" hand one your iphone2 get a 6 back and it would probably be optimized for low energy use as well.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2