Help Starting VS

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
DigitalAdhesive
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

Help Starting VS

Post by DigitalAdhesive »

(For any mods out there - this topic originally got disapproved for the following reason: "The reported message has the only purpose to advertise for a website or another product." I have no idea how anyone could come to that conclusion, and I repost below)

I'm having an issuing starting VS running Windows 7 64-bit. When I double-click the icon, the cursor blue ring will flash for about a half-second as if it's doing something, and then disappear, and the program won't start. I've tried running as Administrator and in various compatibility modes. Is this a known issue, or do any of you have any ideas/advice? Thanks.
DaveAshton
Merchant
Merchant

Re: Help Starting VS

Post by DaveAshton »

I had the same problem.

Right-click your shortcut, and click Properties. Then, select the Shortcut tab, and set the Target as C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C "start /affinity 1 vegastrike.exe"

Start in should point to the VS directory (mine is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Vegastrike 5.1" ).
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

did the original topic have a different subject? Not sure what approval its looking for or how its not allowing some topics but best guess is by the subject heading maybe...
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Turbo »

For me, the fix from the VS News page to delete (or rename) wrap_oal.dll stopped the "crash on load." Now that I can play again, I intend to test it further.

As a nice bonus, my new system (i7 processor) loaded the game, generated the universe, and was ready to play in about 15 seconds total, where it used to take 2 minutes on my old Pentium D. :shock:

Update: VS 0.5.1 beta is playing beautifully, except that my speed setting always goes to half-speed unless I hold down the "full throttle" or "stop" button, and also I shot up an asteroid field and now I can't land on planets.
Last edited by Turbo on Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Turbo

There are two speeds in combat: stopped, and as fast as you can go. Unless you run into something, going fast keeps you alive more often than stopping.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

Mine did that too though I think it was a code change and not a hardware change as I am still using the same hardware :P
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
hmb3
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by hmb3 »

Hiya,
just joined the forum. I realy like the new versions as an old privateer player. I am having the same problem posted above:
"When I double-click the icon, the cursor blue ring will flash for about a half-second as if it's doing something, and then disappear, and the program won't start."
I've tried the given 'fixes' to no avail.
I'm running 5.0 fine on an acer aspire with windows 7 and up to date.
thanks
HMB3
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

check your event log to see if any of the dlls such as openAL caused VS to crash on load. The error being reported is so limited its hard to tell what the underlying problem is.
hmb3
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by hmb3 »

Hiya Pheonixstorm,
I'm not too tech savvy, just so you know lol. I did manage to find the event log viewer and tries to open the app and then record the info. Any help will be apreciated.
Thanks!
here is the event log:
Faulting application name: vegastrike.exe, version: 0.5.1.13139, time stamp: 0x4d793f09
Faulting module name: MSVCR90.dll, version: 9.0.30729.6161, time stamp: 0x4dace5b9
Exception code: 0xc0000417
Fault offset: 0x00069db9
Faulting process id: 0xbb4
Faulting application start time: 0x01ccbb8e1c009e64
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Vegastrike\vegastrike.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.6161_none_50934f2ebcb7eb57\MSVCR90.dll
Report Id: 5b690a14-2781-11e1-81d0-f80f4111435b
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

Try to download the latest VC9 package from HERE and see if that fixes the problem. Sometimes reinstalling the dlls fixes the issue, maybe maybe not. Best way to start though :)
hmb3
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by hmb3 »

Hiya Pheonixstorm,
Ah I kept getting the 'repair or uninstall visual c++ 2008 when I did the game install.
I've tried reinstalling visual c++2008 a few times. I removed all the versions of it via control panel and then reinstalled via the link you sent. I also tried visual c++2010.
I've installed the game and checked the uninstall visual c, and reinstalled allowing the game to install the visual c. still no luck.
any other suggestions?
Thanks!
hmb3
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by hmb3 »

oh, I just tried running as administrator and it loaded.perhaps I need to set permissions in the .dll?
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

hmb3 wrote:Hiya Pheonixstorm,
Ah I kept getting the 'repair or uninstall visual c++ 2008 when I did the game install.
This pops up when you are using the version you are trying to install. If you run across a situation where you need to reinstall, try repair first.
oh, I just tried running as administrator and it loaded.perhaps I need to set permissions in the .dll?
Good to know you found a way to get it to work :)
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

hmb3 wrote:oh, I just tried running as administrator and it loaded.perhaps I need to set permissions in the .dll?
May well be. As i remember my XP days, setting up anything non-trivial to work properly without admin rights needs Registry Monitor / File Monitor (Sysinternal) to see what got wrong permissions as often as not.
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

hmb3 is running windows 7 (64 bit).
Both states windows 7 and the error info reports "program files (x86)" that x86 is only referenced on 64 bit systems as the 64 bit stuff does not work without a major fight on an x86 system and a 64 bit system needs to know it needs to run a program as an x86 program.

XP accounts are admin accounts by default the whole "admin without full admin rights" is a vista/7 thing, as well as new accounts defaulting to a limited account.
pjs
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by pjs »

Aaah - I'm glad I'm not the only person who's run into this. I did do a search for MSVCR90.dll on my machine, and found about 50 matches, all in the search path and each one a different build. Didn't think of trying to run as administrator - I'll give that a try when I get home this evening. I'm also on Windows 7 x64.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

I most always have to run the setup prog as admin under Win7 the OS thinks it's trying to install a new app

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

What if you rename it as vssetup.exe or vsconfig.exe?

If that makes windows get a hint, we can apply the rename officially in the installer/build solution.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

I tried renaming but then it just does not start at all but since I started exporting svn to a test folder,I have had no problems running it as a normal user but it remains an issue with the stable version using the installer which I still have installed :)

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2