Graphics issue

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
LXP
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Graphics issue

Post by LXP »

Hi everyone,

I just downloaded and installed the latest stable VS version for Windows (0.5.0 I think). It seems to start up correctly so far, but any display page using fonts seems either badly misproportioned and/or just disfunctional.

The first thing I tried to do was the tutorial. At the trade page, all text comes up in a very tiny font although I use 1920x1200 resolution. Where it becomes really bad is the Flycomp - any map display is totally unusable and cluttered with a column of text.

Some hardware information:

Dell Precision M90
WinXP SP3
NVidia Quadro FX 3500 GPU (that's a true OpenGL card)
4 GB RAM
Mouse, no joystick

Game configuration:
1GB RAM + 1GB swap
Relaxing gameplay
All sound
Medium volume
Extreme detail
Nicest shader
1920x1200 32bit fullscreen (also tried 1680x1050 32bit windowed, no change)
Mouse glide
No joystick

Does anyone have any hints or ideas how to fix this? I already did some research in the forums for similar issues, but did not find a solution.

Thanks,
LXP
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Re: Graphics issue

Post by TBeholder »

LXP wrote: It seems to start up correctly so far, but any display page using fonts seems either badly misproportioned and/or just disfunctional.
The first thing I tried to do was the tutorial. At the trade page, all text comes up in a very tiny font although I use 1920x1200 resolution.
Try to set variables in config. Font type is set via high_quality_font (HUD) and high_quality_font_computer (basecomputer) - currently, vssetup only changes the former according to the chosen graphics type. Maybe, font_antialias too. font_point sets the size directly.
LXP wrote: Where it becomes really bad is the Flycomp - any map display is totally unusable and cluttered with a column of text.
It's a scale issue. Map marks for close objects will be piled anyway. Choosing a different projection sometimes helps.
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter
LXP
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by LXP »

First, thanks for your help.
TBeholder wrote:
LXP wrote: It seems to start up correctly so far, but any display page using fonts seems either badly misproportioned and/or just disfunctional.
The first thing I tried to do was the tutorial. At the trade page, all text comes up in a very tiny font although I use 1920x1200 resolution.
Try to set variables in config. Font type is set via high_quality_font (HUD) and high_quality_font_computer (basecomputer) - currently, vssetup only changes the former according to the chosen graphics type. Maybe, font_antialias too. font_point sets the size directly.
Okay, I found what looks like the config file in the \Vegastrike-0.5.0 subdirectory of the game's installation directory - vegastrike.config. In there, I found the entry

Code: Select all

#set Video GeForce3
which suggests VS treats my GPU as a GeForce3. Thus, I looked up the GeForce3 section of the file. Here's the relevant part of that section in it's unchanged state:

<var name="high_quality_font" value="true"/>
<var name="font_antialias" value="true"/>
<var name="font_point" value="16"/>
Oddly enough, there was no variable high_quality_font_computer.

However, as a first attempt I changed this to

<var name="high_quality_font_computer" value="true"/>
<var name="font_point" value="16"/>
No change at all. :o

Second attempt:

<var name="high_quality_font_computer" value="true"/>
<var name="font_point" value="32"/>
Again, no change. :o

Am I just missing something here or basically thinking in a way which isn't compatible with VS? :?

Thanks again for any suggestions,
LXP
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

LXP wrote:Hi everyone,

I just downloaded and installed the latest stable VS version for Windows (0.5.0 I think). It seems to start up correctly so far, but any display page using fonts seems either badly misproportioned and/or just disfunctional.

The first thing I tried to do was the tutorial. At the trade page, all text comes up in a very tiny font although I use 1920x1200 resolution. Where it becomes really bad is the Flycomp - any map display is totally unusable and cluttered with a column of text.
I think we have a problem with the nav comp and wide screens. I've experienced the same issue in SVN trunk, and I think (would have to confirm) it's due to mismatched aspect ratios.

I wouldn't mind a tracker issue opened, with screenshots at various aspect ratios (ie: wide and 4:3)

Not sure how easy it is to fix, probably not overly complicated.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe