Wingman Digital

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
shoklar
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Wingman Digital

Post by shoklar »

Howdy,
I recently got into VS and put an old Logitech Wingman Digital 3D back into service. It's a "native" USB stick with a gameport plug -> USB adapter. Well, the adapter (dongle) is long gone and I have no gameport these days... I cut off the gameport plug from the stick and used a USB 2.0 cord from a Sierra/Sprint wireless hotspot. Any similar (shielded) should work. If anyone is interested I'll be happy to post my exact wiring. Hard to find and might also work for certain SideWinders. Logitech did reverse something, probably Z axis. Two wires, no big deal.
In VS setup (same for Gemini Gold and Parallel Universe) the joystick is set to joy w/ throttle reversed. To get the rudder/twist handle right I added "inverse=true" to the Z axis in .config file. Axis 3, iirc.
I've got an 8-position "hat," have not figured that out. Anybody who has gotten a hat to work, please, let me know. Analog or digital, should be similar enough. I have not tried the stick's software, was trying to get it working via .config, if possible. Not one to take the easy way out, "this low gravity'll make ya soft..."
Also, I'm running an XP x64 system and had a nasty battle with the sound in VS (etc). Maybe OpenAL issue, maybe VS. I now have OAL and OAL-Soft on here and new drivers for my Raltek. At first, no cockpit sound. Fought and fought, installed new Realtek drivers - had sound. Crashed/rebooted a few times, no sound. Fought and fought again (starting with Creative OpenAL, again) and finally got sound back by reinstalling the Realtek drivers. Hope I don't have to keep doing that, Win HATES driver flogging (surprise...). Is this an issue solved with the SVN release? I have the 050 downloaded one... I tried the SVN PU, same deal. At bandwidth limit and can't DL the VS SVN to check just now... :|
Anyway, great game - especially with sound and a decent stick :mrgreen:
Y'all Be Cool,

Shok'Lar
klauss
Elite
Elite

Re: Wingman Digital

Post by klauss »

I don't think sound issues changed in SVN from 0.5 - most certainly from 0.4.3, but 0.5 has the same issues as SVN I believe (in win64).

Though I'm a linux guy, i'll let more knowledgeable windows guys authoritatively answer that one ;)

When you have it right, you could add it to the wiki here ;)

Note: whatever is on that wiki will probably be on vssetup for the 0.5.1 release
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
shoklar
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Re: Wingman Digital

Post by shoklar »

Ah, gotcha. Thanks.
I got kinda ADD with my post, got off-topic in my OWN post :shock:
So far, the sound is staying fixed. Believe me, getting it working was a test of patience and fine-tuning keywords in google. It seems that the bulk of the VS fan base is Linux. If I had not read the Linux solutions I'd have not figured out the OAL/OAL-soft thing. Once it was working - really made the game "come alive." Yeah, when I am fairly certain it's fixed I'll add to the Wiki. The least I can do. Since I have some testing to do with the Wingman's POV "hat" that'll (by proxy) test the sound drivers. Load, test, load, test. Sound broke ONLY after crashes and might be the result of a battered registry. My OS install is at least 2 years old and the [typically out-of-control] Windows registry may well be the culprit. I run utils to clean and repair - but - it IS Windoze... Although XP64 is -NOT- XP (rather Server 2003 w/ XP face), the same fixes should apply (just different folders for the .dlls). Vista and 7 are whole other beasts - supposedly use OAL vs DX. As I've eluded to, "hours and hours." Linux solutions applied more than Vista/7 ones :shock:
Since my (pre-ADD) post topic was the Wingman, I'll add that (aside from the POV hat) the stick works flawlessly. Once I get the accursed POV hat to work I'll post a config. Should be similar to M$ Sidewinder digital or Saitek<?> digital. Logitech seems to reverse the Z axis (physical wiring) but most else seems identical. IMO, VS is HELLA FUN and getting the stick "right" makes a big difference, especially in my favorite area - dogfighting. Picture, if you will; beep-beep, eeeeeeeeeee - click, whoosh... BOOM, 'nite pirate. Repeat. A little wrist, thumb, thumb... PITA dispatched, return to base... Sorry, I digress.........
I'll start a sound in Windoze topic, I got ADD on this "Wingman" one...
Thanks for the re:. Be Cool,

Shok'Lar