Save file "corruption" or something similar

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
Sicofonte
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

Save file "corruption" or something similar

Post by Sicofonte »

Hello everybody,

Once I've managed to install this game (0.5.0) in my Ubuntu 8.04 with the latest NVidia binaries, I can say that Vega Strike is AWESOME.
I first installed the version in the Ubuntu repositories, and un-installed it when realized that the good version was not there.

Now I have a problem with the campaign. In my first play I saved, can't remember how exactly, just after buying my first cargo in Atlantis (grain). Then I went to Serenity to sell the cargo, found some ludites and other guys fighting, did some stupid things and then dediced that I wanted a fresh start.
And now, when I try to restart the game I have always only 282 credits and a full load of grain. If tryed:
- Suicide [!], my ship explodes and I can respawn or quit. I quit and after loading again Vega Strike and clicking on Campaign, I'm again in the same situation.
- Removed (renamed) the New_Game file in vegastrike-0.5.0 folder.

Then I came here to ask for help, and while writing this I though "let's look again".

I found another vegastrike directory (my installation is in ~/vegastrike-0.5.0, and there is a ~/.vegastrike-0.5.0 folder). There I found the save folder and erased any file (there were Autosave and New_Game). After running vegastrike I spawned in empty space (or without sensors, but no target anywhere) in a missile-like starship.
Then quited, renamed back the New_Game file in vegastrike-0.5.0 folder and after running Vegastrike a new dynamic universe has been generated. At last.

So I think I did something wrong and saved a "New_Game" that stopped me from starting a true new game.

The odd thing right now is that I start with my 13.5k credits and my Llama full of grain.
Maybe I saved also the starting Llama full of grain and the "start new campaign" script (or whatever) reads from there and voilá.

Anyways, is there a quick way to reset the game (appart from un- and re-install)?

Thanks in advance.

PS: sorry for my English, I'm from Spain.
greenfreedom10
Hunter
Hunter

Re: Save file "corruption" or something similar

Post by greenfreedom10 »

[quote="Sicofonte"]Anyways, is there a quick way to reset the game (appart from un- and re-install)?[/quote]

Removing any ~/.vegastrike* folders should completely reset the game. You might want to save your vegastrike.config though, otherwise you will need to run vssetup again.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Re: Save file "corruption" or something similar

Post by klauss »

Actually, New_Game is a savegame with the state of the game engine when you press "New game". Somehow, you stepped on it, which isn't good.

Try restoring the file. Not sure how ubuntu did its setup, usually save games are in ~/.vegastrike/save and ~/.vegastrike/serialized_xml, but the New_Game save game is in another folder, safe from your doings. Anyway, you have to restore it and its serialized_xml folder, either from the package or somewhere else.

If you don't know how to extract files from ubuntu packages, just reinstall it (after removing or renaming the entire ~/.vegastrike folder).
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe