Near impossible to navigate splash, mouse nonworking?

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
croc
Just a tourist with a frag'd nav console

Near impossible to navigate splash, mouse nonworking?

Post by croc »

Hello VS community,

Everyone hates one-shot registered users that post a question, have it answered, and then disappear into the depths of never coming back to the forum website ever again. Being over apologetic as I am, I'm saying hello and I hope not to be that guy. I'm posting because this game looks really fun and I'd really like to get it working.

I'm a Linux user, Ubuntu 8.10, ATI Raedon 9600, 1gb of ram
First problem on my short list, when I ran VS for the first time, I couldn't move the cursor around-- I was only able to exit gracefully by scrolling my mouse wheel at random, and waiting for the selection to appear on the screen to a latency of about 6-10 seconds, finally selecting the quit option etc. I didn't even try to start the game to see what horrors await. I'm sure it's because I just skimmed through the configuration, how do I launch that config script again?

I'm assuming that the latency I experienced was something to do with my graphics configuration. I'm moderately experienced in *nix-fu, so if you tell me I need to monkey with my display drivers or that my card doesn't work yet, thats okay.

Thanks in advance. I'd also like to say that I really enjoyed the loading screen and what I was able to read of it before I went to the title screen. You guys seem pretty cool :)

edit: Browsing around on the forum I noticed it's sortof inactive, mirroring the inactivity of the development--I can only assume it's because you have a pretty good version now and the developers are stricken with making money and other worldly non-open-source concerns. Anyway, I wish you guys luck in your endeavors be they unpaid video game development or not!
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Re: Near impossible to navigate splash, mouse nonworking?

Post by CLoneWolf »

croc wrote:Hello VS community,
Welcome, croc! :)
croc wrote:[...]
I'm a Linux user, Ubuntu 8.10, ATI Raedon 9600, 1gb of ram
First problem on my short list, when I ran VS for the first time, I couldn't move the cursor around-- I was only able to exit gracefully by scrolling my mouse wheel at random, and waiting for the selection to appear on the screen to a latency of about 6-10 seconds, finally selecting the quit option etc. I didn't even try to start the game to see what horrors await. I'm sure it's because I just skimmed through the configuration, how do I launch that config script again?
It's called vssetup and it should reside in the same main game folder where the vegastrike script is
croc wrote:I'm assuming that the latency I experienced was something to do with my graphics configuration.
Correct assumption indeed. Either your 3d acceleration is not working at all, or it's more like a lack of all the SDL libraries required by VegaStrike. If you have other 3d games working fine, then it's the latter; otherwise...
croc wrote:I'm moderately experienced in *nix-fu, so if you tell me I need to monkey with my display drivers or that my card doesn't work yet, thats okay.
You probably will have to :)
Make sure you got the latest and appropriate drivers for your card. Why appropriate? I just read on a forum that from version 9.4 on, your card will be supported by the legacy drivers.
If you haven't already activated the restricted drivers manager, please do so; the standard driver lacks 3d acceleration, while the closed drivers shipped with Ubuntu handle it to some extent. If you already have that driver or you install it and the problem persists, your last option might be to get the official driver from the ATI site, remove the Ubuntu one and install the official one.
Another thing: once you get your 3d working, you might consider disabling Compiz for a better gaming experience; its eye candy comes at a price, and that price would be too high on a jurassic pc like mine :mrgreen:
croc

Post by croc »

CLoneWolf wrote:Make sure you got the latest and appropriate drivers for your card. Why appropriate? I just read on a forum that from version 9.4 on, your card will be supported by the legacy drivers.
By legacy I assume you mean fglrx, which I just re-enabled (forgot why I disabled it, hope I don't crash soon) to no effect. I believe the previous one I had installed was ATI's proprietary driver. It's not a VS issue so I won't ask about that anymore.
CLoneWolf wrote:Either your 3d acceleration is not working at all, or it's more like a lack of all the SDL libraries required by VegaStrike. If you have other 3d games working fine, then it's the latter; otherwise...
Well, I run warSow with good results. Lots of other 3d accelerated ported2Linux games, not so much. I found out where the mouse was going! Whenever I move it on the menu, I can spot a green pixel in the lower right-hand corner of the screen that goes away when I use the mouse wheel to get over to select an option (quit :) ), which means there's something wrong between my mouse driver and SDL_input perhaps maybe kindof.
Compiz
Oh compiz. I eradicated it from the box I'm on long ago. I'm thinking about trying the Windows binary on another box. Which distro is the main dev done under? I know it's "cross-platform" but you know what I mean...

Thanks for such a prompt reply
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

As you can play warsow, your drivers are fine and the issue is sdl-input related, but other than making sure you got all the needed libs and checking the stdout and stderr files for eventual problems at start, I wouldn't know :/
Loki? Can you shed some light on the issue?
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Hi croc can you run vs from a terminal then post the output as an attachment as CloneWolf said that should give me a bit more to work with as to what is happening and why also which way did you install.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
croc

Post by croc »

I hope pastebin is okay, I thought it more prudent then uploading a text file.
http://pastebin.com/m723f74a9

I've noticed as well that VS will not run unless I run the command from the directory that contains VS even though I thought I "installed" it... Thanks again so much for your help, CLoneWolf, and you as well loki1950.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Looks like your video driver is not installed correctly according to this bit

Code: Select all

#
Couldn't initialize video: Couldn't find matching GLX visualCouldn't initialize video bpp 32 depth 32: Couldn't find matching GLX visual
#
Couldn't initialize video bpp 32 depth 24: Couldn't find matching GLX visual
#
Setting Screen to w 1024 h 640 and pitch of 4096 and 32 bpp 4 bytes per pix mode
#

That would also effect mouse movement screen updates and such the message is from SDL as that is what handles the windowing behaviour the other bit that suggests that the shader programs did not compile there is some issue with the ATI drivers and the latest versions of the kernel and Xorg not sure if it has been resolved yet as i use an Nvidia card.So time for a bit of google-fu to see if you can find a post on the Ubuntu forums dealing with your card and the current versions.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2