Running SVN: Where the heck's my SHIP?!?

Just downloaded Vega Strike and need help? Have a question but don't know where to start? Ask here.
athomic1
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Running SVN: Where the heck's my SHIP?!?

Post by athomic1 »

Okay, so, I finally decided to give the SVN package a try. Pulled down the vegastrike and data modules, installed a few missing dependencies, and built the thing without a hitch. Yay! Make a couple of symbolic links in the data module's directory, start the program, and... no ship in the hangar? What the hey...??

Okay, I'm running it from a shell, windowed, so I can see the output while I'm playing, and this looks interesting:

Code: Select all

Found ship named : llama.begin
Faction not found assigning default one : privateer !!!
        Exiting ReadSavedPackets                       
Failed to locate base mesh for llama.begin llama.begin llama
It looks like the system can't find a mesh for the starting ship, so it doesn't appear in any hangars, or in space (I looked). I presume it's a missing file. Can anyone tell me what/where this file should be, or if it's likely some other problem?

NOTE: For what it's worth, this ONLY seems to affect the starting Llama ship. Other ships, and bases, too, show up just fine.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Re: Running SVN: Where the heck's my SHIP?!?

Post by loki1950 »

One thing to watch out for the hidden folder .vegastrike try moving everything out of it run the vssetup again(double-clicking on the link) then run the game with

./vegastrike 2>vserr 1>vsout
from the data or bin folder this will save the terminal output to files vsout and vserr but i think the clean out will do the trick but if it does not check units.csv to make sure there is an entry for llama.begin it will be near the bottom if you don't have CSV_Editor v2,OOo's calc will open the file for viewing it.BTW there is a good GUI for svn called RapidSVN for Gnome or kdesvn for KDE they should be in your distro's software repos i know that they are in the fedora and Ubuntu repos makes updating and managing your local copy much easier if you are not comfortable on the CLI yet and as a further precaution run the game in a copy of the data tree as when you do all the python scripts are complied leaving unversioned files in the svn copy which svn will complain about.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
athomic1
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by athomic1 »

Ah! Okay, I suspected it might be something like that.

It's running a bit late, so I'll have to wait and try this out tomorrow. Thanks for the help!
athomic1
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by athomic1 »

All right, that did fix it. I already knew the SVN build was using the old ~/.vegastrike directory that 0.4.3(?) had used. I figured that might cause some weirdness, though overall, not much serious. Removing the old data also fixed another issue or two, that I thought might have been changes to the starting Llama's setup. When I started up a new campaign, I found my ship had only 500m^3 of hold space, and just 16m^3 for upgrades!? Pulling the old files and restarting gave me the 2000/300 Llama we all know and love(?)

Now, I'm hoping maybe I can pull save games, and maybe some of the universe data back over from ~/.vegastrike-0.5.0. That's the directory the 0.5.0 version in Fedora's repo uses, which is no doubt why I didn't run into this kind of trouble with it before. I'll just check that out on my own, when I feel up to the challenge.

Meanwhile, another item... ehr, well, two, actually: First, how do I get rid of that list of mission objectives from Oswald's little training session? It doesn't seem to be an active mission, but it doesn't seem to go away, and it's crowding out the objectives of any missions I do take. Help, anyone? [OOH, update: they go away after shutting down and restarting the game. Would still be handy if they'd disappear after the first docking/landing, though]

Finally, here's something else from the logs. Check the last line:

*** Python Warning 138!
Warning Traceback 138:  
  File "m/privateer.py", line 34, in Execute
    i.Execute()                             
  File "m/random_encounters.py", line 288, in Execute
    dynamic_battle.UpdateCombatTurn()                
  File "m/dynamic_battle.py", line 33, in UpdateCombatTurn
    if (not SimulateBattles()):                           
  File "m/dynamic_battle.py", line 214, in SimulateBattles
    if (not attackFlightgroup (ally[0],ally[1],enemy[0],enemy[1],enemy[2])):
  File "m/dynamic_battle.py", line 564, in attackFlightgroup                
    SimulatedDukeItOut (fgname,faction,enfgname,enfaction)                  
  File "m/dynamic_battle.py", line 447, in SimulatedDukeItOut               
    ApplyDamage(enfgname,enfaction,enemy,envictim,enstats,HowMuchDamage(ally,vsrandom.uniform(0,enstats[1])),fgname,faction)
  File "m/dynamic_battle.py", line 417, in HowMuchDamage                                                                    
    stats=faction_ships.GetStats(i[0])                                                                                      
  File "m/faction_ships.py", line 576, in GetStats                                                                          
    debug.error( 'cannot find '+name)                                                                                       
It looks like the game is trying to use the stock Entourage, but its data is missing. Can I add this in, somehow?

Thanks for all the help!
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Yes you could add the entry for the Entorage.stock there a few others as well that have incomplete entries so don't be surprised the .stock entry should have the default upgrades/weapons that you get when you buy the ship the .blank one is with no upgrades at all.And yes the Llama was changed no more medium weapon mounts as well all part of a rebalancing effort.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2